Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Pirates

I've spent a good chunk of the last few months working on Halloween characters for my upcoming shows.  One morning I woke at 5:30 and the first thing that popped in my head was pirates...."I think I should make some pirates."  Ideas come to me at odd times and all hours of the day.  It keeps me on my toes, for sure! 

Now, I suppose pirates are not really Halloween.  These guys are not kids dressed as pirates, but the real deal. 

 
First up was Bartamus.  I had Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow in my head when I was creating this one.  I spent several long minutes shopping the yarn aisle at Hobby Lobby to come up with the right one to make dreadlocks.  I'm pleased with the results.

 
Initially I didn't put a beard on him, but I thought he needed one after the fact.  I gave him a '5:00 shadow' instead with some black pastels.  He just looked too clean-cut without it! 
 
 
Next was Cortez.  I wanted to do one that had Pirate's treasure in it, and also try my hand at a tri-corn hat.  I made the tiny chest and filled it with gold pieces and Swarovski crystals and some gold chain.

 
I love his long, pointed nose.  He does have a sinister look about him, doesn't he?

 
Of course, all self-respecting pirates drink their fair share (and then some) of rum, so I couldn't let this pirate theme go on without one having a bottle of rum. 
 
 
I like the combination of dreadlocks and the hat on this one.  The feather is a nice finishing touch.  Oh, and his name, of course, is Captain Morgan!
 
 
And this is Argus.  Perhaps the scariest of the bunch.  Peg-legged and carrying a walking stick made of a skull and bones, he's not one you would want to cross. 

 
I think he represents all things pirate. 
 
I intended to make one more, with a parrot on his shoulder, but it was time to move on to other ideas that were screaming to get out of my head.  I had a lot of fun with the pirates and am anxious to hear what you all think. 
 
It's a rainy day here today and a good day for working in the studio without feeling like I'm missing out on summer!  I'm working on Santas today.  Never too early to work on Christmas! 
 
Hope you have a great day!
Lisa
 


2 comments:

  1. Pirates are an interesting idea -- would make an excellent cake topper for a Pirate themed birthday party (and a fun momento of the day when the party is over).

    ReplyDelete
  2. pure titanium earrings - T-Shirt
    T-Shirt. 2014 ford fusion energi titanium Classic-Style T-Shirt. titanium keychain Classic-Style T-Shirt. Classic-Style titanium water bottle T-Shirt. titanium tools Classic-Style T-Shirt. Classic-Style T-Shirt. titanium straightener Classic-Style T-Shirt. Classic-Style T-Shirt. Classic-Style T-Shirt.

    ReplyDelete