Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Skellies

As you know, I have been working super hard to ready myself for my big show season.  I have about EIGHT WEEKS left.  I know to some of you that seems like a nice stretch of time.  Trust me, it's NOT!  I have so many hats to wear as a one woman show that sometimes I don't get them all put on in a timely manner!  But, I'm here for a minute, so let me show you a few of the new things I have been working on.

SKELETONS!!  I made a few last year and they seemed to be well loved.  I thought I would sort of pair them off this year. 

Bonita Bones and Night Watchman
 
As you know, I'm a sucker for these fun tutu dresses on my dolls.  I love this glitter-dot tulle.  Her fella is dressed up in a fine suit.  He's been keeping an eye on his watch, because as we all know, girls tend to take so much extra time when getting ready for a fancy party.  He's afraid they might be late.

Charming Skelly and Belladonna Bones
 
I enjoy a play on words and try to always come up with something clever for my characters.  I had these cool skull embellishments and decided to make charms from them for this unique skeleton.  I wanted to do something in only black and white.  His shirt is made from silk, no sewing, just tucking, folding and gluing.  I was pleased with the result. 
 
Belladonna gets her name because she is carrying a vial of poison.  There is a tiny hand-drawn skull and crossbones on the label of the bottle.  More of the fun dotted tulle on her dress, and I decided this time to polka dot the top.  It matches Charming Skelly's hat. 

Skelly Bat Jack and Skelly Sparkle
 
OK, maybe not my most imaginative names, but I do like this pair, in traditional orange and black.  His suit is trimmed with glitter to coordinate with her glittered tulle skirt.  The jack o'lantern, bats and the black cat head are all nods to traditional Halloween things.

Skelly Boo and Skelly Cat
 
I made Skelly Boo last year, and thought he needed a companion.  These are sort of the 'younger' skellies, on a more casual day.  I like the pairing of the stripes of his shirt with the dots of hers.  Her skirt is made from chenille fringe. 
 
(Whenever I see Skelly Cat, I think of "Smelly Cat"---remember Phoebe from Friends, and her quirky song "Smelly Cat"?  It plays it my head now..."Smelly cat, smeeellly cat, what are they feeding you?  Smelly cat, smeeellly cat....it's not your fault!"  Now you can have that odd tune running in your head all day! LOL!)

Skelly Goes Haunting and Shelly Skelly
 
These are a bit of a departure from the usual color schemes of Halloween, but that's why I like them so much!  Purple is my favorite color after all!  I was able to mix the clay color to match the tulle and crepe paper really well.  The Happy Haunting sign is textured to look like old wood, stamped with an acrylic stamp, and then 'antiqued' with black paint.  More of those great glittered bats.  They always add a nice little touch, I think.
 
 
While I have these skeletons paired off, they are all available separately.  I have a few of them listed in my etsy shop. I've slowly been getting new Halloween things listed.  I hope you will go have a look around. 
 
I've managed to put together a nice collection of Halloween characters to start off my show season, so now I'm moving on to working on Christmas folks.  Christmas in July.....that sounds about right!
 
Off to work!
Thanks for stopping and have a great day!
Lisa


3 comments:

  1. I love all of your skeletons, each is so unique! Loving the bright colors too, especially the purple ones. I agree, the glitter bats do add a nice touch. Awesome work, as always Lisa! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Purple is MY favorite color and Skeletons are my VERY FAVORITE of all things you create...which says a lot because I LOVE all of your work. AND as the especially lucky recipient of Skelly Goes Haunting this year, I'm so excited for Halloween Decorating Season!

    ReplyDelete